Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default Need suggestions for healthy food bars for travel

. ..
>I am planning a trip to Greece and Turkey, primarily Greece with a one-day
>stop in Turkey. The food should be ideal once I get there (Mediterranean
>diet). However, I am concerned about the airplane trip and also about
>travel on the bus. Can anyone recommend a low-carb (and hopefully tasty)
>food bar?--the name and also where I could order it. I checked with our
>health food store, and even they do not have anything suitable. Every bar
>they have is high carb and includes items like cane syrup and honey. Even
>their dried fruit has cane syrup. I have not eaten anything like that for
>5 years, and I would like to find some emergency supplies to take with me.
>There are some special diets available on the airplane, such as vegetarian
>or diabetic, but each of them presents some difficulties. Many places
>serve inappropriate carbs (in my opinion) on a diabetic diet, and I am also
>allergic to fish. Vegetarian diets often include a lot of bread. I may
>take some peanut butter sandwiches with Ezekiel bread (a flourless bread
>made from sprouted grains), carrots, and apples on the plane; but I would
>also like something to have in the hotels once I arrive. I will not be
>able to take those items into the country with me.

I don't know what you consider low carb so what I'm going to suggest might
not work. I like the GoRaw pumpkin seed bars. They are sweetened with
something. Agave? Dates? I can't remember. Don't have any in front of me
at the moment. Each bar has 24 grams of carb and is filling enough to make
a meal.

I can see why you couldn't take carrots and apples unless perhaps they were
dried, but I'm not sure about the peanut butter. I don't even know how that
would be classified. I've heard stories recently of people getting food
taken from them because somebody at the airport considered it to be a
liquid. I believe peanut butter was on this list and also canned tuna.

Could you take plain nuts and seeds? Beef jerky or other preserved meats?
I order little packets from minimus.biz for my daughter. I think they are
Pepperoni and Salami.