Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Erroll Ozgencil Erroll Ozgencil is offline

Default pH level

On Mar 28, 6:59*am, "Lou" > wrote:
>wine I, and moreso my girlfriend, are enjoying has a pH of 3.92 !!

If the TA is not too low, then adding more tartaric isn't the solution
- it'll just create a new (high TA) problem in place of your old (high
pH) one. I had to deal with something like that; my cherry wine had a
high TA and a high pH. I ended up sweetening to balance the TA, and
just leaving the pH alone:

http://www.washingtonwinemaker.com/b...ugar-and-acid/

I've never done this, but I understand that some people use phosphoric
acid to push the pH down. It has a much bigger impact - gram for gram
- than tartaric, so you move the pH without affecting the TA very
much. It can be dangerous to handle, though, so don't do this unless
you're qualified to work with hazardous chemicals.

Erroll
http://www.washingtonwinemaker.com/