Posted to alt.food.diabetic
MaryL MaryL is offline

Default Mushrooms for thickener

"krom" > wrote in message
> sounds great to me!
>
> i love mushrooms.
>
> in fact ive found a lazy way to make breakfast every day this week..i used
> food processor and sliced like 10 cartons of mushrooms and 1 large onion
> and some fresh garlic and keep it in a big container.
>
> i also keep my bacon fat from frying bacon in fridge.
>
> so when i wake up i put a spoon of bacon fat into the pan and when its
> melted and rocket hot i toss a huge handful of the shroom-onion-garlic mix
> into the pan and add herbs and salt and pepper and when thats cook i beat
> some eggs and mix thos in and make a omlet.
>
> if im extra hungry i will add cheese.
>
> tasty start to the day
>
> you could fry shallots in the pan and beat your eggs or egg sub with the
> shroom powder..would be good too with some rice cheese for a omlette
>

> KROM
>
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>I am making tuna casserole tonight and I can't believe I didn't hit on
>>this earlier. We can't use prepared cream of mushroom soup because of the
>>cream in it and usually wheat. So I make my own with rice milk and I was
>>using a gluten free flour. Somehow I hit on the idea of powdering the
>>dried mushrooms that I use. Angela likes the flavor of them but not the
>>texture. When made to a powder (using the Magic Bullet), she eats them
>>with no complaints. Now I do add some fresh mushrooms to this, but I chop
>>them finely in the Magic Bullet. No complaints about that either.
>>
>> Anyway... I noticed when I made this, the powdered mushrooms were
>> thickening the sauce way too much and I'd have to add more rice milk.
>> I'd wind up with way too much sauce and would then just make two
>> casseroles. But I didn't want to do this. I only wanted enough for the
>> one meal, plus maybe one leftover portion for Angela's lunch the
>> following day.
>>
>> So I got to thinking... What if I left out the flour and used just the
>> mushrooms? Well, it worked! It worked just a little too well. I still
>> had to add a little rice milk to thin down the mix. I started with about
>> 2 cups of milk (I didn't measure) and enough mushrooms to loosely fill my
>> Magic Bullet.
>>
>> Now I must add the mushrooms I used come from Costco. They are in a huge
>> plastic jar for about $10. They do not look like the shriveled up dried
>> things you get in a tiny plastic packet from the grocery store. So those
>> might not work in the same manner. Also, the Costco mushrooms require
>> much less soaking time than the ones you get at the grocery store.
>> Actually I used to dehydrate my own fresh ones at a low temp and the
>> resulting slices look like the ones I get from Costco.
>>
>> I find that the powdered mushrooms add a really intense mushroom flavor
>> to the dish. I should think these would be good in any gravies or sauces
>> where you want (or don't mind) a mushroom flavor. And they are low in
>> carbs!

How long does this keep for you? And do you use any special method? I ask
because I love mushrooms, especially in salads and scrambled eggs or omelet.
However, I find that mushrooms--either sliced or whole--only last for a few
days in my refrig. The best way I have found to "maintain" them is to
loosely wrap a paper towel around the box, but that only extends their life
for a very short time.

MaryL