Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default Got my kale!

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Going to make chips with it tonight for dinner. Angela is already turning
> up her nose. I was going to make pork chops and roasted potatoes and red
> onions for dinner. I put in a ton of onions to make it less carby for me.
> I am going to eat bacon. I don't like pork chops. No matter. She turned
> up her nose at the pork chops. So I let her go through the entire meat
> dept. and choose something for dinner.
>
> What did she choose? Prepared beef stroganoff. She couldn't have it.
> Has wheat and soy protein in it. I guess I could make it from scratch one
> day. It is one of husband's favorite meals and she liked it as a small
> child.
>
> So her second choice? Hotdogs. Blech! I'm still having bacon.

So... I tried the kale chips like Jacques Pepin did them. Washed the kale,
cut out the middle stalk, cut or broke into small pieces, coated with olive
oil, sprinkled with salt (I used sea salt) and baked at 250. At the 10
minute mark, I got panicky. They had turned all soggy and there were little
puddles of oil all over the pan. I may have used too much oil. I blotted
them well and gave them another 2 minutes. Suddenly they were crispy just
like they were supposed to be.

I tried one. When it first touched my tongue, I liked it. Nice and salty,
just like any other chip. And not even bad to bite into. It was the
aftertaste that got me. Sort of like dulse. And a little bitter. I tried
a piece raw and it was bitter. Could be some kale is more bitter than other
kale. I don't have much experience with it.

Then Angela came in. Stuck her nose up and stuck her tongue out. I told
her to try a piece. She did. Said not to put any on her plate as she
continued to cram the stuff into her mouth. She had little green bits on
her teeth and lips as she said it wasn't bad. But she still didn't want any
on her plate. She then proceeded to eat about half the pan's worth and I
did a whole bunch.

Husband said he loved the chips. But I think it's because they are so
salty. I didn't add any salt at the end of the baking. Perhaps kale is
overly salty to start with?

Jacques said you could make these chips with any winter greens, but he liked
kale the best. I read on the Internet that some people like this with
chard. I will try the chard next time I get it. Could have gotten some on
Wed. but I changed it out for something else.