Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nick Cramer Nick Cramer is offline

Default Carba Nada test

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Susan wrote:
> > Janet Wilder wrote:
> >
> >> Not necessarily. DH used to be able to do Dreamfield's, too. Now he
> >> can't any longer. The pasta was from the same purchase so I don't
> >> think they changed the formula. Apparently it just stops working.
> >> Maybe the body learns to digest the so-called indigestible carbs???

> > I think that's really possible. The body probably adapts by producing
> > the digestive enzymes needed. If that's true, it might be helpful to
> > take a long vacation from it and see if that helps, then eat it only
> > rarely.
> >
> > That could end up becoming an issue with Carba Nada, maybe, but I think
> > it relies on GI more than being resistant, though resistant starch is
> > one of its constituents.

> We are taking a long vacation from pasta. Going to try spaghetti squash
> tonight.
>
> Might try this recipe for an Alfredo, though I'll use half parm and half
> romano as I don't have any asagio:
>
> 5 Minute Microwave Alfredo Sauce
>[recipe snipped]

Sounds good, Janet. Perhaps a bit late for tonight, but I use Heavy Cream
instead of milk (more diabetes-friendly to me). Also, blending the hard
cheeses is nice, but not necessary. Even just one of them will work fine.

I only use durum semolina pasta. I only have 1/2 cup of it (usually).

Nick's Alfredo Sauce (my daughter makes this all the time):

6 tablespoons (3/4 of a stick) unsalted (regular OK) butter, at room
temperature
3 tablespoons EVOO
minced garlic to taste
optional - 12 oz sliced mushrooms
1/2 c. grated Parmigiano Reggiano (Parmesan), at room temperature,
1/2 c. grated Pecorino Romano cheese
plus extra cheese to pass at the table
1 cup heavy cream, very lightly whipped
1/4 c. parsley, oregano, basil or combination, fresh
Salt and freshly ground pepper (use white pepper if you have it) to taste

Note that we have also used Asiago and/or Grana Padano cheese. Depends on
what's on hand. ;-)

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061