Posted to rec.food.cooking
theron theron is offline

Default Difference between marinara & pasta sauce?

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:58:19 -0500, FERRANTE
> > wrote:
>
>>What is the difference between a marinara sauce and a basic pasta
>>sauce?
>>
>>Anyone have a good recipe for a simple marinara sauce, please?

> Dunno the difference, but I do know that Harry's Tomato Sauce is one
> of the very best things you can put on spaghetti.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Harry's Tomato Sauce
>
> Recipe By :Harry Demidavicius
> Categories : Sauces/Gravies

> 1 large carrot -- cut in large chunks
> 1 stalk celery -- cut in large chunks
> 1 medium onion -- cut in large chunks
> 1 clove garlic
> 1/4 cup olive oil
> 1 tablespoon dried oregano
> 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel -- (Carol's addition)
> 28 ounces Italian tomatoes -- crushed
> 1 cup dry red wine
> 1/4 cup fresh parsley -- minced
>
> 1. Blend the carrot, celery, onion, garlic, oil, and oregano in a food
> processor until emulsified.
>
> 2. Empty the tomatoes into a large saucepan on medium heat and mash
> them. Stir in the vegetable mixture. The resulting blend should be
> quite thick & look reddish with traces of green & yellow visible. When
> it starts to bubble turn down the heat & simmer uncovered for about
> 90 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it has reduced & blended into
> a sauce.
>
> 3. Add in the wine and continue to simmer for a few more minutes. Stir
> in the parsley simmer for 5 more minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings
> and remove from heat.
>
> 4. The sauce may now be served over pasta or stored in the
> refrigerator in tightly capped 28 ounce jars.

I mince the onions, celery, carrot and garlic and sauté that a bit until the
celery and onion are soft. That softens the onion taste, and the garlic is a
bit less harsh. Then I add any seasoning and proceed pretty much as above.
Also, if you want a sauce that's a bit more delicate, try white wine instead
of red wine. An inexpensive vermouth works great. That hint came from the
goddess of Italian cooking, Marcella Hazan.

Ed