Posted to alt.food.wine
Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] is offline

Default Fermented Fuit Juice -- How to turn it into alcohol?

"Ronin" > skrev i meddelandet
> On 2009-03-19 08:56:51 -0700, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
> > said:
>
>> I do believe som producers try to "recycle" the yeast by spreading lees
>> in
>> the vineyard ... not a terribly good idea as it may enhance bacteria
>> rather
>> than the "natural" yeasts. What about bajanus in Veneto, then, do you
>> mean
>> that the reservoir is in the cellars rather than in the vineyards? It
>> would
>> fit neatly with what I heard about a cheese factory - to get the cheese
>> mature as they wanted, the old cheese cellar master had to pass through
>> the
>> cellars, wearing, and this was important, his old cap ... which
>> apparently
>> was supposed to contain the ferments needed for the proper maturation of
>> the
>> cheeses. If it is not true, it is still a fairly good story.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Nils

> I've often used "champagne yeast" from my friendly neighborhood wine and
> beer making supplies store with a fermentation lock (from the same source)
> on top in the original gallon bottle. Then, as apple cider time comes
> conveniently at the time of first frosts, after I fermented a couple of
> gallons, I put them in a bucket (clean) lightly covered out on the back
> porch. In the morning, take off the ice and toss. Do that a couple of
> days and the alcohol content rises to the point where it will preserve
> itself. Makes a delicious drink, and great addition for cooking, like a
> chicken liver pate and so on...

Readers of Terry Pratchett's eminent Discworld series will recognise this as
scumble, which is, as everybody knows, made from apples.
Well, mostly apples.
And it should not come into contact with metal.
Cheers
Nils