Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default COVER corned beef brisket with water?

On Tue 17 Mar 2009 07:26:24p, Pete C. told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> > I just take it out of the package, put it on a rack in the pan and
>> > sprinkle the seasoning stuff on top. The relatively long time in the
>> > oven browns the outside just fine. Leaving the corning / pickling
>> > gook also helps glaze it a bit. Water in the bottom of the pan mostly
>> > keeps the drippings from burning.
>> >
>> > I made some very tasty corned beef has this morning with a bit of the
>> > brisket I baked last night along with the potatoes and onions I
>> > boiled along with some cabbage (I left the cabbage out of the hash).
>> >

>> IMO, how you cook corned beef is directly releated on how you plan to
>> use it. I have roasted it with great success and enjoyed it. However,
>> if I want a boiled corned beef and cabbage dinner, I want sufficient
>> liquid to boil the potatoes, carrots, onions, cabbage, and turnips.
>> Roasting simply doesn't provide for that.

>> Of course, the vegetables could be cooked
>> separately, but would not be infused with the flavor from the cooking
>> liquid of the corned beef.

> If you want the flavor in the separate vegetables, just add some
> pickling spice mix to the water.

It would still be missing the flavor of the meat and a bit of fat dispersed
in the liquid. Just not the same.

Don't get me wrong, I do like roasted corned beef, but if I'm making a full
boiled dinner of corned beef and cabbage and other root vegetables, I would
never roast the meat. Roasted corned beef is an entirely different meal.