Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Report from this part of Texas

"modom (palindrome guy)" wrote:

> The community garden plugs along. We'll plant this spring or I'll die
> trying.
>
> Yesterday Bobby from the local hardware and feed store delivered
> enough 12-foot 2 x 12's to make 35 12 x 4-foot raised beds.

I hope all that lumber is pressure treated, and the newer safer treated
lumber will begin to rot in like ten years, sooner if your area is generally
wet. I think for a community garden a much better system would be to have
like 10' X 10' plots staked out directly on the ground... in so many ways it
will be infinitely simpler to maintain. For the cost of all that lumber a
tremendous quantity of topsoil could have been hauled in, and each fall and
spring so much easier to amend and till.

So what is the purpose of this venture, what crops are planned?