Posted to rec.food.cooking
kalanamak kalanamak is offline

Default Rosemary uses?

cshenk wrote:
> I have this 3ft bush of it that survived the winter here. What uses to you
> all have for rosemary? Some new ones would be handy!

My favourite uses include grilling a porto mushroom with olive oil
bastings, cutting into strips while hot (I use a kitchen shears) and
tossing the hot strips into limejuice, minced shallot and minced fresh
RM. Let cool in this mix and eat warm or cold over salad greens.

Mixing minced into dough for focaccia, etc.

Soaking the RM branches in water and then putting them onto the coals
just before shutting down your grilling and letting whatever you have in
there linger and smoke for a bit.

Here is part of an old post with a very tasty use a la focaccia:

This foccacia is fun to make. It is a most sleek dough. The recipe is
from
Secrets of a Jewish Baker by George Greenstein
2 C warm water
2 packages active dry yeast
1/4 C olive oil
5-6 C bread or all purp flour (I do 1/2 and 1/2)
2 teas salt

Basically mix it all together, add flour as (k)needed and knead until
silky...about 8 minutes. Transfer to oiled bowl, let double (this goes
quick in a warm place...all that yeast). Punch down.
Divide into two balls. Let rest 15 minutes (I can never wait) and then
roll out, place on a greased baking pan and indent with fingers. Use
topping of choice. (Olive oil, salt, onions, garlic, herbs like sage and
rosemary, tomato paste)
Bake at 375 about 25 minutes.

What I do is to take enough ricotta
to /thinly/ cover half of the bread, mix into it one part sage, one part
parsley or basil, three parts rosemary so that its rather strongly
flavoured with herb, and smear this on one half of the (oiled) dough. I
then fold it over and pinch the edges toether, roll out a little bit (I
start with a very thin dough), make the classic dents, oil the top,
sprinkle a bit of kosher salt and whole fresh rosemary on the top and
then bake.
This is a take-off the "hippy rolls" (from some Americanization of an
Italian treat sold in NYC...I've forgotten the word) I used to eat back
east.
blacksalt