Old 14-03-2009, 02:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] tweeny90655@mypacks.net is offline

Default pizza baking strategy

On Mar 13, 9:52*pm, "Theron" wrote:
"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message

In article
,
wrote:

I normally make a 12 inch round pie and bake it on my round stone.
I'd like to make a large pizza for company and thought I might use a
13 inch pan and make an oblong pie. *Since the dough won't be going
directly onto that stone, what adjustments should I make in time and
temperature? *Any other suggestions for avoiding *a soggy bottom?

Thanks.

This isn't what you want to hear and it doesn't answer your t&t
question, but I'd bake two smaller pizzas rather than one big one. *You
can make a couple different kinds and be eating one while the other
bakes. *Cut smaller pieces if you have to in order to make a piece
available to everyone on the first pass. *JMO.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller

I agree. If you're used to a stone, a pan will change everything. As Barb
says, make two.

Ed.

Yeah - I've tried to think it thru. I can see myself having to jump
up and down to eat, get that other pie in the oven (and I use a two
stage baking method too.)

I guess it can't be helped. I COULD load on so much in the way of
toppings that no one would want more than a slice or two. I could
always slice it into ten rather than eight. I could load 'em up on
salad and some minestrone beforehand.

Thanks for the thoughts. I KNOW in my heart that going from stone
baked to pan would---well-- NOT be good.