Posted to rec.food.baking
Paul Paul is offline

Default Bread dough never gets "smooth and silky" after needing

"Kenneth" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 14:12:46 -0700, "Paul"
> > wrote:
>
>>I have been making bread 2-3 times a week for about a month, and no matter
>>how long I knead the dough (tried for 30 minutes last night) it never
>>becomes smooth and silky. It did not bother me until just recently
>>because
>>the dough DOES become smooth and silky after the first rise when it gets
>>punched down. But I was making noodles (or trying to) and the directions
>>said to knead the heck out of the dough. It said to knead it until it is
>>smooth and silky, and then 10 minutes more. I used all purpose flour for
>>this, and it did become smooth. Bread flour has more gluten so it should
>>come together better than AP flour, right?
>>
>>Any ideas on how to go from lumpy and torn to smooth and silky?
>>
>>Thanks!
>>Paul

> Hi Paul,
>
> The thing that you are leaving out of the equation is
> time...
>
> I would suggest that you try this:
>
> Mix up some dough, but mix it only to the point that you are
> certain that you have left no pockets of dry flour.
>
> Then, put the dough in the refrigerator for a few hours.
>
> Finally, take it out and knead it.
>
> Also, you mention bread flour by saying:
>
> "Bread flour has more gluten so it should
> come together better than AP flour, right?"
>
> but the answer is "No."
>
> Higher gluten flours (often called "bread flour") is slower
> to fully hydrate, and also needs more water to bring it to a
> particular texture.
>
> Because it hydrates more slowly than would lower protein
> flour, it will take longer to form a smooth dough.
>
> All the best,
> --
> Kenneth
>
> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

I have no doubt that this would work because the dough does get smooth after
rising for an hour. Is this a quirk of my enviroment, flour or recipe; or
should I be doing this every time I make any bread? If it is a moisture
absorbtion issue, could it be that it is because I live in an extremely dry
area (phoenix)?

Thanks!

Paul