Posted to rec.food.cooking
Terry[_3_] Terry[_3_] is offline

Default Breadmaker yeast

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 10:53:01 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

>On Mar 10, 11:01*am, notbob > wrote:
>> Go one of mom's breadmakers out (unused) and want to make bread. *Scratch
>> recipe from manual stipulates "bread machine yeast". *I have only
>> Fleischmann's active dry yeast (fresh). *Does it really matter if it's not
>> bread machine yeast? *Thnx.
>>
>> nb

>Naaah - use it. Frugal tip: buy it in 2 lb. bag from Costco, Sam's
>etc - freeze half of it. BIG savings vs. what those little jars and
>envelopes cost.

Side note: In the freezer, yeast lasts a LOT longer than the "use by"
date. We bought two pounds from Sam's Club long before I quit
carrying the membership---call it six years ago. Just used up the
last of it.

And that jogged a memory: My first attempt at making yeast rolls. I
was around 12, my older sister was in Home Ec and got those Betty
Crocker pamphlets on making rolls, bread, piecrust, etc. (Anyone else
remember those?)

So I decided to make cloverleaf rolls. Used the cake of yeast that
was in the fridge. So what if the cake had been there for a year and
a half?... :-(

It was a very tasty batch of unleavened bread...

Best -- Terry