Posted to rec.food.baking
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

Default Bread dough never gets "smooth and silky" after needing

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 14:12:46 -0700, "Paul"
> wrote:

>I have been making bread 2-3 times a week for about a month, and no matter
>how long I knead the dough (tried for 30 minutes last night) it never
>becomes smooth and silky. It did not bother me until just recently because
>the dough DOES become smooth and silky after the first rise when it gets
>punched down. But I was making noodles (or trying to) and the directions
>said to knead the heck out of the dough. It said to knead it until it is
>smooth and silky, and then 10 minutes more. I used all purpose flour for
>this, and it did become smooth. Bread flour has more gluten so it should
>come together better than AP flour, right?
>
>Any ideas on how to go from lumpy and torn to smooth and silky?
>
>Thanks!
>Paul

Hi Paul,

The thing that you are leaving out of the equation is
time...

I would suggest that you try this:

Mix up some dough, but mix it only to the point that you are
certain that you have left no pockets of dry flour.

Then, put the dough in the refrigerator for a few hours.

Finally, take it out and knead it.

Also, you mention bread flour by saying:

"Bread flour has more gluten so it should
come together better than AP flour, right?"

but the answer is "No."

Higher gluten flours (often called "bread flour") is slower
to fully hydrate, and also needs more water to bring it to a
particular texture.

Because it hydrates more slowly than would lower protein
flour, it will take longer to form a smooth dough.

All the best,
--
Kenneth