Posted to rec.food.baking
Paul Paul is offline

Default Bread dough never gets "smooth and silky" after needing

I have been making bread 2-3 times a week for about a month, and no matter
how long I knead the dough (tried for 30 minutes last night) it never
becomes smooth and silky. It did not bother me until just recently because
the dough DOES become smooth and silky after the first rise when it gets
punched down. But I was making noodles (or trying to) and the directions
said to knead the heck out of the dough. It said to knead it until it is
smooth and silky, and then 10 minutes more. I used all purpose flour for
this, and it did become smooth. Bread flour has more gluten so it should
come together better than AP flour, right?

Any ideas on how to go from lumpy and torn to smooth and silky?

Thanks!
Paul