Posted to rec.food.baking
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default problem with 2nd rise (yeast bread)

"Douglas Frank" <wrote in message
> I've been struggling with a problem making white bread for sandwiches,
> following the recipe in Betty Crocker. I've been proofing the yeast at
> 100F and following the recipe to the letter. I'm having trouble with the
> rise.
>
> I've been putting the bowl in a warm water bath for the first rise (it's
> winter, and my kitchen's ambient temp is 64). This one goes well; the
> dough doubles in an hour and holds finger indentations.

I agree with the others, 100F is way too high. Yesterday I did one large
loaf and 12 mini loaves, using pans and my kitchen was 64F/18C. I was using
75% white to 25% wholemeal. I use a very old Fannie Farmer recipe.

Salt is an important ingredient, it helps to stabilise the yeast, slows it
down a bit. IIRC the first rise was 1 hour (in linen lined bread baskets,
although mixing bowl is fine). Then transfer to pans/tins and the 2nd rise
was 90 minutes. How much salt do you use, or better still, print the Betty
Crocker recipe.