Posted to rec.food.cooking
bulka[_2_] bulka[_2_] is offline

Default Easter cometh (natural Easter egg dying)

On Mar 2, 7:13 pm, Arri London > wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,

> > > Fortunately, they're pretty easy to make. Reading over this thread, I'm
> > > wondering about how well red wine would work instead of tea in that
> > > application. Say, red wine, star anise, stick cinnamon, and orange peel?

> > > Bob

> > Y'know, that is a seriously awesome idea. :-) And makes me more glad
> > than ever that I started this thread for different views...
> > --

> The eggs would likely end up tasting like mulled wine. Could work. Would
> look nice.

My first attempt at tea eggs was - interesting. Very mottled, some
cracks.

More subltle flavor and less penetration than I had imagined. Good,
though. Between boiling them enough to crack the shell, and thinking
I needed a hot marinade, may have been a little overcooked.

Working on the mulled wine eggs now. Gonna try to craze the shells at
the earliest possible moment. Just heat the wine and spices and let
it steep.