Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Jacquie Jacquie is offline

Default Soup with lima beans?

Here's a recipe I found online that sounds good...I probably wouldn't put
allot of the cayenne in ..maybe a few drops of pepper sauce instead...just
to add a quiet bite I suppose you could add ham instead of smoked turkey I
sometimes add a few chunks of smoked pork chops in my bean...adds a bit more
flavor then just ham....

Four meal size servings:

1 pound dried baby lima beans, soaked over night
2 carrots, finely chopped
2 small – medium onions, finely chopped
½ pound smoked turkey in a thick slice, cut into ½ inch cubes
2 tablespoons canola oil
¼ - ½ teaspoon cayenne
1 bay leaf
2 cups chicken stock, plus 1 qt water (or use all water)
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Optional:
½ cup bread crumbs
1 cup grated Romano of Parmesan cheese
½ cup chopped fresh parsley

Heat oil in a pot and sauté onions and carrots until softened. Add bay leaf
and
cayenne and cook another minute or so. Drain and rinse beans and add to pot
along with the turkey, stock and water. Bring to a boil, and then lower to a
simmer. Check beans at one hour and every 10 minutes until they are soft.
Using a wooden spoon or spatula mash some beans against the side of the pot,
stirring until soup is slightly thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste.

To serve, put soup in oven proof bowls and top with the mixed crumbs and
cheese. Place under broiler until topping is golden brown and serve
garnished
with the chopped parsley. With a green salad and crusty bread this makes a
healthy and satisfying winter meal.