Old 02-03-2009, 02:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Omelet[_7_] Omelet[_7_] is offline

Default Easter cometh (natural Easter egg dying)

In article ,
Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

Omelet wrote:

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

A variation is to paint a
design in wax on the egg, dye it a black, remove the wax design with hot
water and then re dye so the design shows in a bright color against the
black. And on top of which, this is usually done to the emptied egg
shell. So all very delicate to produce.
--
JL

See above.

With those really big shells, ostrich or even goose one can get really
fancy.

From painted colors in inks, or oils, or acrylics and add fabrics and
ribbons and little glass gems

Or real precious and semi precious stones, gold and silver threads....

There are lists dedicated to egg decorating. I still have a bunch of
(clean blown) emu shells stored in the shed. I used to sell them on
ebay. I'll probably eventually sell what is left on Craig's list, or
decorate a few myself. I have a few Ostrich shells stashed somewhere
too.

I actually have a mold for a hollow egg me mum made sugar eggs with for
easter, decorated them with various piped butter creams and made a
little scene with the nativity or some such image in side them, with a
little hole you could look through to see the inside.

So cool. :-)

But the egg is made of a sugar 'slurry' i cant think of a better term
(sugar 'slip'?) for it, not cooked iirc, a very thick sugar and water
mix that was allowed to harden over several days in a warm spot so that
when unmolded it had a very solid consistency.

And she would turn them into several little works of art in sugar and
give them away, eventually we kids would contrive to eat them.
--
JL

I saw some of those many, many years ago, but not for awhile.

I've seen some amazing egg art from Ostrich, emu, Rhea, goose and duck
shells!
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama