Posted to rec.food.cooking
Omelet[_7_] Omelet[_7_] is offline

Default Easter cometh (natural Easter egg dying)

In article >,
Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> >
> > Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
> >

> >>A variation is to paint a
> >>design in wax on the egg, dye it a black, remove the wax design with hot
> >>water and then re dye so the design shows in a bright color against the
> >>black. And on top of which, this is usually done to the emptied egg
> >>shell. So all very delicate to produce.
> >>--
> >>JL

> > See above.

> With those really big shells, ostrich or even goose one can get really
> fancy.
>
> From painted colors in inks, or oils, or acrylics and add fabrics and
> ribbons and little glass gems
>
> Or real precious and semi precious stones, gold and silver threads....

There are lists dedicated to egg decorating. I still have a bunch of
(clean blown) emu shells stored in the shed. I used to sell them on
ebay. I'll probably eventually sell what is left on Craig's list, or
decorate a few myself. I have a few Ostrich shells stashed somewhere
too.

> I actually have a mold for a hollow egg me mum made sugar eggs with for
> easter, decorated them with various piped butter creams and made a
> little scene with the nativity or some such image in side them, with a
> little hole you could look through to see the inside.

So cool. :-)

> But the egg is made of a sugar 'slurry' i cant think of a better term
> (sugar 'slip'?) for it, not cooked iirc, a very thick sugar and water
> mix that was allowed to harden over several days in a warm spot so that
> when unmolded it had a very solid consistency.
>
> And she would turn them into several little works of art in sugar and
> give them away, eventually we kids would contrive to eat them.
> --
> JL

I saw some of those many, many years ago, but not for awhile.

I've seen some amazing egg art from Ostrich, emu, Rhea, goose and duck
shells!
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama