Posted to rec.food.cooking
maxine maxine is offline

Default Easter cometh (natural Easter egg dying)

On Mar 1, 3:33*am, Omelet > wrote:
> I've not made onion skin eggs since mom passed away. She's the one that
> taught me that trick. :-) *I'm currently saving the "paper" onion skins
> that it takes to do it as I want to teach the method to my nephews. *
> I'll be sure to take pics this year.
>
> Wrap raw eggs in dry onion skins, bind with cheese cloth and cotton
> string.
>
> Hard boil.
>
> Unwrap, let cool and coat lightly with some cooking oil.
>
> They really are quite lovely.
> I'll try to take pics this year if I actually do it. It'll depend on the
> babysitting schedule...
>
> Anyone else use "natural" dyes for doing Easter Eggs?

I use onion skins all the time to differentiate my boiled from raw
eggs (DH has a real problem telling the difference--and yes, he knows
about spinning). I just save up the skins for a week or so, put them
in the bottom of the pot, put the eggs on top and cover with water.
Bring to a boil, let sit, and then quick-chill. Lovely yellow eggs.

Tea bags will give the eggs a taupe color. Saffron does not give the
shells any color. (at least, not the amount I'm willing to toss in).
Beets will give you a lovely pale pink. Add some baking soda to the
water and they'll turn blue.

maxine in ri