Posted to rec.food.cooking
Joseph Littleshoes[_2_] Joseph Littleshoes[_2_] is offline

Default Easter cometh (natural Easter egg dying)

Omelet wrote:

> Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
>

>>A variation is to paint a
>>design in wax on the egg, dye it a black, remove the wax design with hot
>>water and then re dye so the design shows in a bright color against the
>>black. And on top of which, this is usually done to the emptied egg
>>shell. So all very delicate to produce.
>>--
>>JL

> See above.

With those really big shells, ostrich or even goose one can get really
fancy.

From painted colors in inks, or oils, or acrylics and add fabrics and
ribbons and little glass gems

Or real precious and semi precious stones, gold and silver threads....

I actually have a mold for a hollow egg me mum made sugar eggs with for
easter, decorated them with various piped butter creams and made a
little scene with the nativity or some such image in side them, with a
little hole you could look through to see the inside.

But the egg is made of a sugar 'slurry' i cant think of a better term
(sugar 'slip'?) for it, not cooked iirc, a very thick sugar and water
mix that was allowed to harden over several days in a warm spot so that
when unmolded it had a very solid consistency.

And she would turn them into several little works of art in sugar and
give them away, eventually we kids would contrive to eat them.
--
JL