Posted to rec.food.cooking
Omelet[_7_] Omelet[_7_] is offline

Default Easter cometh (natural Easter egg dying)

In article >,
Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
> > Omelet wrote:

> >> That is why I started the thread. :-) I imagine beet juice would
> >> make a good pink shell?

> > Here's Martha's list, you're right about the beets:
> >
> > Deep Gold: Boil eggs in turmeric solution, 30 minutes.
> > Sienna: Boil eggs in onion-skin solution, 30 minutes.
> > Dark, Rich Brown: Boil eggs in black coffee, 30 minutes.
> > Pale Yellow: Soak eggs in room-temperature turmeric solution, 30 minutes.
> > Orange: Soak eggs in room-temperature onion-skin solution, 30 minutes.
> > Light Brown: Soak eggs in room-temperature black coffee, 30 minutes.
> > Light Pink: Soak eggs in room-temperature beet solution, 30 minutes.
> > Light Blue: Soak eggs in room-temperature cabbage solution, 30 minutes.
> > Royal Blue: Soak eggs in room-temperature cabbage solution overnight.
> > Lavender: Soak eggs in room-temperature beet solution, 30 minutes.
> > Follow with room-temperature cabbage solution, 30 seconds.
> > Chartreuse: Soak eggs in room-temperature turmeric solution, 30 minutes.
> > Follow with room-temperature cabbage solution, 5 seconds.
> > Salmon: Soak eggs in room-temperature turmeric solution, 30 minutes.
> > Follow with room-temperature onion-skin solution, 30 minutes.
> >

> Black tea can produce black eggs, and there's a Russian technique for
> layering the tea stain with layers of various colored wax and then sort
> of "etching" the eggs with various designs.

That's called "Pysanki". I used to sell clean blown duck eggshells for
that on ebay. It's not generally done on raw or hard boiled eggs. <g>
Too time consuming.

> A variation is to paint a
> design in wax on the egg, dye it a black, remove the wax design with hot
> water and then re dye so the design shows in a bright color against the
> black. And on top of which, this is usually done to the emptied egg
> shell. So all very delicate to produce.
> --
> JL

See above.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama