Old 01-03-2009, 03:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Rae[_3_] Rae[_3_] is offline

Default Easter cometh (natural Easter egg dying)

Thanks!

On Mar 1, 9:22*am, "Nancy Young" wrote:
wrote:
On Mar 1, 7:59 am, "Nancy Young" wrote:
Years ago I saw something on tv that really caught my
imagination. Similar to the onion skins, wrap the egg in
a red cabbage leaf. The egg wound up with a lovely pale
blue color with veining from the cabbage. Gorgeous.

Of course, I only tried it once, I don't normally do Easter
eggs.

*That sounds very interesting! I will try it this year and share with
my "Green Wednesdays" friends!

I googled 'dyeing eggs red cabbage' and saw a couple of hits
right away. *First one was Martha Stewart, but she just used
the red cabbage to make blue eggs. *A different website mentioned
rubber banding the cabbage leaves to get that vein-y look.

If you do it, I hope it turns out well. *Of course, there are other
natural dyes aside from the onion skins and the cabbage.

nancy