Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Peppermint Patootie Peppermint Patootie is offline

Default Why ?

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Evelyn wrote:
> > It used to be that way here, but they stopped doing that. I used to
> > pick up a nice big chuck roast in the supermarket and ask the butcher to
> > please grind it. One day they said no.
> >

> Evelyn, do you have a Kitchen Aid mixer? They have meat grinder
> attachments available for them. I have one and I grind my own beef with
> it. The attachments are in the $40 neighborhood and are available
> on-line, in some department stores and at Kitchen Collection in the
> outlet malls.
>
> I usually wait for a good sale on chuck roasts and trim them by hand. If
> the roast has bones, I freeze the bones to use for making stock. Since
> you live in cold climates, you could save the suet and stuff it into
> pine cones to hang out for the birds in winter. I used to do that when I
> lived in New Jersey and the children were small. I have cut out the
> "fillet steak" from the roasts and it's great on the grill.
>
> We like the flavor of chuck but the fat content in the store-ground meat
> was just too high. Now we know what is in our ground beef and we control
> how much fat.
>
> I also cut up some of the chuck for stewing and chili meat.

I do that all the time. Chuck roasts tend to go on sale much more often
than stew meat.

Well, OK, I used to, when I bought supermarket meat. I may have to
doing it again, giving up my mail order grass fed beef and buffalo.
There's a financial crisis in my family, and I have to help out. What
family these days *doesn't* have a financial crisis in it somewhere?
*sigh*

PP