Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gregory Morrow[_185_] Gregory Morrow[_185_] is offline

Default Limburger Spread

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:10:41 -0600, "Chris Marksberry"
> > wrote:
>
> >Has anybody tried the New Amish Country Limburger Spread? Unfortunately
> >it's not available where I live other than mail order.
> >
> >Since Kraft discontinued making limburger we do miss it, but

unfortunately
> >the shipping is $15.00 for something that only costs $3.59.
> >
> >http://www.williamscheese.com/?Home&page_id=1
> >
> >Can't say I expect many responses since most people don't care for
> >limburger.

> Limberger, butterkase and beerkasa are foods of the gods. Don't see
> them around much in Chicago either but we go to Wisconsin a few times
> a year for our "fix" of those and cheese curds. With the weather
> getting better well be making a trip north soon.

I have some old WWII - era magazines, e.g. _Life_, etc., and there are
several full -page ads for Limburger made by Kraft and also IIRC Borden. It
was apparently very popular at that time, I wonder why it's popularity
declined?

I also have some WWII recipe booklets that tout Limburger as an ingredient
in spreads for canapes and such...

--
Best
Greg