Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Willy Willy is offline

Default Super Bird

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Willy" > wrote in message
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>> Years ago I used to get this sandwich at Denney's and I loved it. I
>>> wouldn't eat there now if you paid me. In looking at their nutritional
>>> information, I think about the only things they serve that aren't loaded
>>> with tons of other additives are the bacon and the applesauce. But I
>>> digress...
>>>
>>> If memory serves, this was a grilled sandwich on sourdough bread. It
>>> had turkey, bacon, some kind of cheese, onions and tomatoes. Very
>>> tasty.
>>>
>>> I'm thinking you could create the same sort of thing by putting the
>>> turkey in a skillet with the cheese on top long enough to melt (or maybe
>>> warmed in the microwave). The bacon would of course have to be cooked
>>> till crispy separately. These days I mainly only buy microwaveable
>>> pre-cooked bacon, so not a problem there.
>>>
>>> You could then wrap this in lettuce to eat. Or serve it on whatever
>>> kind of bread you eat. If you eat bread.
>>>
>>> I have a package of sliced turkey breast about to go bad and was trying
>>> to think of something to do with it. Besides the usual warmed up turkey
>>> with mashed potatoes. That never goes over too well.
>>>

>> Ah yes, the SuperBird... that was my Denny's favorite as well. And by
>> the way, Denny's has made a tremendous effort to ramp up their quality
>> overall. And therein the reason they had the free breakfast for anyone
>> promotion a few weeks ago. They want to make Joe Publiq comfortable
>> coming to their restaurant again, particularly with food quality.
>>
>> And although I missed out on the freebie breakfast deal (lol)... I did
>> have breakfast at various locations recently and found that it is
>> possible to have a reasonable low carb meal if you really try, and I did
>> find the quality to be okay. Not five star by any stretch, but neither
>> were the prices on the menu, so I for one am willing to "go to Lenny's I
>> mean Denny's" again for a change.

> I just looked at their nutritional information and allergens and can't see
> much change there. Yes, there are a few more things we can eat, but we
> still can't get a meal there. Too much extra stuff in their food that we
> are allergic to. Such is the problem with most chains.

I don't think I've ever known anyone as terrorized with allergies as you -
honestly, I don't know how you manage. And dare I grumble about having to
deal with the normal diabetic limitations, I can't imagine how you have to
think and investigate everything that goes into your mouth. It's almost
overwhelming at times I'm sure.

Wes