Posted to rec.food.cooking
Omelet[_7_] Omelet[_7_] is offline

Default Cleaning a Really, Really Burned Pan

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> I can barely see my monitor through the smoke. LOL!
>
> I turned a burner on to heat water for tea a little while ago. After
> a few minutes, I noticed a burned smell, but chalked it up to the oven
> being on for heat.
>
> Then the smell got very strong. Shit! I had turned the burner on
> under the rice leftover from last night's dinner. Thankfully, the lid
> was on the pan, because the rice was on fire.
>
> Took the pan outside to cool, and to reduce the amount of smoke in the
> house. Brought it back in, and man, is it black inside that thing!
>
> What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
> Oven cleaner, maybe? We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
> with a copper bottom, if that helps.
>
> Carol

Carol, I deal with scorching by putting a layer of pure vinegar in the
pan and letting it soak for a day or two. Putting it out in hot sunlight
will help speed the process.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama