Posted to rec.food.cooking
notbob notbob is offline

Default Cleaning a Really, Really Burned Pan

On 2009-02-25, Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> Oven cleaner, maybe? We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
> with a copper bottom, if that helps.

If the pan has been heated high enough and long enough, the burn stains may
be permenent. If it isn't too bad, use a stainless steel scrubby pad, soft
scrub, and some serious scullery maid elbow grease to get most of it out.
Fact is, high heat releases carbon from organic objects and drives it into
the metal. You may never see a shiny bottom on that pan, again. I have a
couple pans I've burned. All my mom's pans are like that.

Never start heating a pan on high heat and walk away!!

nb