Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Pope Steve Pope is offline

Default Cleaning a Really, Really Burned Pan

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

>What's the best (easiest) way to get the burn stains out of the pan?
>Oven cleaner, maybe? We're dealing with stainless steel Revere Ware
>with a copper bottom, if that helps.

My algorithm is as follows: using detergent, if I cannot clean it with
a dish sponge, I try cleaning it with a Tuffy (that being the name
brand for a scrubber made from a jumble of yellow and orange plastic
strands); if that does not work by itself, I use a nearly-dry
slurry of coarse salt, which usually works. Sometimes it takes
several go's at it with soaking in between.

I will do the above for either stainless steel or enameled cast iron.
However with stainless steel another option is steel wool.

I would never, ever use oven cleaner.

Just my opinion.

Steve