Posted to rec.food.cooking
Zeppo[_1_] Zeppo[_1_] is offline

Default Sink Poll - are you a double or single bowler? What is your Dream sink? :-) (LONG REPSONSE)

"jj" > wrote in message
> Hey so I dunno why but lately I have really been finding my double
> bowl kitchen sink annoying and dreaming of a nice deep single bowl.
>
> How about you? Are you a monogamous or bi-bowlular? <snort>
>
> What do you like best about your sink? Worst? What would your dream
> sink/faucet be?
>
> One feature I haven't seen (haven't looked very widely) is a quick
> release tip for either the main faucet or the water gun on the hose so
> I can clip on a thin 6 inch long tube and send water directly to the
> bottom of a jar of stuff so the rinse water pushes all the old water
> out rather than coming in at the top. <long sentence hunh)

One of the dumbest mistakes I made was installing a double sink in the new
kitchen we built last year. I thought it was a really cool idea and had 2
friends that had one in their kitchens. They swore by it (though they
disavow any knowledge of doing that now). I chose one that had a large bowl
and a small bowl to the left that contains the disposal. It's a really nice
sink but I can't put large baking sheets or roasting pans flat in the large
bowl to clean them, a huge disadvantage.

I thought It would be great to have the garbage disposal in a separate bowl
so I could scrape dishes and stack them in the large bowl and not worry
about blocking the disposal chute, but the cost in sink space is too great.
Every time I make a large dinner I'm juggling having to do all the small
stuff first so I have room to do the roasting pans at an angle, which takes
the whole sink. If I want to soak them is soapy water it has to be on the
counter. A real PITA.

We've actually been discussing pulling the sink and putting in a single bow,
which would be expensive as the granite would have to be re-cut to fit the
new sink. But it bugs me enough that well probably do that this summer.

BTW, if our space for a sink was bigger it wouldn't be an issue. Our sink
had to fit into a 36" cabinet. If we had a 48" base this would have given us
room for a BIG double sink would have worked much better.

Jon