Posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian
axlq axlq is offline

Default Death to cilantro!

In article >,
> wrote:
>Cilantro is an herb that people either love or hate, and I happen to
>be one of those who hate it and thinks it tastes like soap.

I feel similarly about cheese (a pizza may as well be covered in
pus). And coffee (which reeks and tastes like dirt). And hot
spices in sufficient quantities to mask other flavors (and is often
a sign of an unskilled chef).

The trick, however, is to avoid ordering things that contain those
ingredients.

>I ate at a very expensive Indian restaurant last night

Stop right there. If you don't like cilantro, why did you go to a
restaurant serving cuisine that typically uses cilantro?

>told the waiter I didn't care for cilantro and requested that they
>hold the cilantro on my lamb curry. So they made sure to dump
>cilantro on top and I wasted half the curry trying to pick it out
>to make it edible.

If this was an "expensive" restaurant, why didn't you send it back?

>The retards at McDonalds are able to hold the pickle if the customer
>requests it. Even Mexican taquerias will hold the chiles if you say
>you like it mild. They could even put the cilantro on the side and
>let the customer decide whether to put it in his taco or curry.

So, again, why didn't you send it back? You placed the order,
the waiter agreed, and they fouled it up. That should be the
restaurant's problem, not yours.

>Vietnamese restaurants are another big offender when it comes to
>cilantro. I can't even stand the thought of Vietnamese food anymore
>because of it.

So, don't eat there.

>My guess is that cilantro is traditionally used to cover up the
>taste of spoiled meat.

That's the idea behind "chicken fried steak" to disguise a
substandard piece of meat.

Actually, if used properly, cilantro works as a flavor enhancer to
good meat.

-A