Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Alan Alan is offline

Default Newest side effects of puer

On Feb 20, 8:52*am, dxt178 > wrote:
> On Feb 20, 9:22*am, wrote:
>

> > Ive watched the effects of gongfu puer on the sexes on a couple of
> > occassions now. *Puer brings out the macho in guys where they could
> > have said things like 'that cup busted my chops' or 'that one hit rock
> > bottom'. *I usually grunt my guy thing 'taste good to me' where I
> > emphasize the grunt if I really like it. *The two gals are more demure
> > they look at each other and giggle. *When they describe the taste it
> > has something to do with their personal lives like what perfume they
> > wear. *So basically guys have opinions and women have feelings. *We
> > all get tea drunk. *I dont know how this happens on so little puer
> > from a gongfu tasting cup. *Id say certainly less than 10oz but doesnt
> > come close to my two liters of other teas in the morning. *Ive found
> > obscure references on puer causing inebriation contrary to being used
> > to sober people up. *All I can think maybe small cups of shu and sheng
> > causes an adverse reaction.

> > Ive alluded to the interplay of the sexes over gongfu puer. *On the
> > way home after the last tasting I realized this could apply to tea in
> > general. *Im thinking a really astute guy could use tea as an
> > aphrodisiac instead of the cross your fingers expensive dinner date (I
> > know some teas are more expensive). *You get to show you can do
> > something besides drink beer. *And that you can carry on a
> > conversation and most important know how to use your hands.

> > Jim

> > PS *The subject of tisanes came up at the last tasting. *I mentioned
> > dried flowers and honeysuckle being my favorite. *One of the guys lit
> > up like a Christmas tree saying that was her favorite perfume
> > fragrance and she was wearing it now. *It doesnt do me any good but it
> > got me thinking about the subject on the way home.

> Nice observation. I have felt a head-swimming like effect from some
> cooked puerh before but not all produce it and it has never happened
> from uncooked for me. Unfortunately I have just shelved puerh for the
> time being and I'll probably revisit it at times but I have just come
> to terms with the fact that I'd rather drink something else. As for
> the positive outlook on (serious) male tea drinking, I have found it
> to be not the case for most people. Luckily I'm married and my wife
> has come a long way to now really enjoying a number of quality teas,
> but at most it has generated a bit of curiosity in the female realm.
> Mostly it is misunderstood or just thought of on the same level as
> their favorite Tazo from Starbucks. Actual conversation (paraphrased):
> "Ooh you like tea?" "Yeah, I'm pretty heavily into Chinese and
> Japanese teas." "Have you tried the China green tips Tazo!!?" "I've
> had it, but I tend to prefer fresher whole leaf green tea if you like
> the Tazo tea you should try some the flavor is totally different and
> amazing." Now from here it has gone a few ways:

> [...]

I bought a big bag of dried honeysuckles at an Asian market, thinking
I would get a brew with the same sweet flavor I remember from my
childhood. The reality was a more resinous, non-sweet flavor, more
like the flavor from the green parts of the flower itself. Are there
any naturally flavored tisanes out there with a flavor closer to the
flavor of the fresh blossoms?

Alan