Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wim van Bemmel Wim van Bemmel is offline

Default Limburger Spread

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 15:26:08 -0500, Dora wrote:

> Chris Marksberry wrote:
>> Has anybody tried the New Amish Country Limburger Spread? Unfortunately
>> it's not available where I live other than mail order.
>>
>> Since Kraft discontinued making limburger we do miss it, but
>> unfortunately the shipping is $15.00 for something that only costs
>> $3.59.
>> http://www.williamscheese.com/?Home&page_id=1
>>
>> Can't say I expect many responses since most people don't care for
>> limburger.
>>
>> Chris

> I wish I could find limburger - I love it! However, I had to stop
> buying it years ago - any time my husband opened the refrigerator he
> said it smelled like sweaty socks.

No wonder, the funghi are the same family ..

For an alternative you should try Munster or Maroilles. Of which the
former is the mildest. the second, no other words for it, stinks.
It is bearable, but avoid the cheesecake they make from it.
Maroilles is a speciality from Picardy, Northwest France, the channel
coast. Arras.
All are red-funghus cheeses. That are best if from raw milk, but also
verry restricted available, because of the risk of lysteria contamination.

--

Groet, salut, Wim.