Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dandelion leaves

Omelet wrote on Mon, 23 Feb 2009 08:12:40 -0600:

>> Omelet > wrote in
>> newsmpomelet-2B3BFD.07213723022009
>> @news-wc.giganews.com:
>>
> >> There are a huge mess of fresh young dandelion leaves in my
> >> yard at the moment. I'm getting in the mood for weeding.
> >>
> >> I'm seriously considering harvesting and eating them this
> >> year.
> >>
> >> Any advice from those that do the same? Use or discard the
> >> roots etc.?

>> I've heard of Dandelion tea, but not much else.

> That's with the blossoms, not the leaves babe.
> But thanks.

I've eaten and quite enjoyed dandelion *leaves* in a mixed green salad
where they add an interesting bitter taste. That's about as far as I
would go tho' I believe they have actually been cooked. However, unlike
me, some people like long cooked spinach and vegetable greens.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland