Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default Super Bird

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> Years ago I used to get this sandwich at Denney's and I loved it. I
>> wouldn't eat there now if you paid me. In looking at their nutritional
>> information, I think about the only things they serve that aren't loaded
>> with tons of other additives are the bacon and the applesauce. But I
>> digress...
>>
>> If memory serves, this was a grilled sandwich on sourdough bread. It had
>> turkey, bacon, some kind of cheese, onions and tomatoes. Very tasty.
>>
>> I'm thinking you could create the same sort of thing by putting the
>> turkey in a skillet with the cheese on top long enough to melt (or maybe
>> warmed in the microwave). The bacon would of course have to be cooked
>> till crispy separately. These days I mainly only buy microwaveable
>> pre-cooked bacon, so not a problem there.
>>
>> You could then wrap this in lettuce to eat. Or serve it on whatever kind
>> of bread you eat. If you eat bread.
>>
>> I have a package of sliced turkey breast about to go bad and was trying
>> to think of something to do with it. Besides the usual warmed up turkey
>> with mashed potatoes. That never goes over too well.

> why not stuff this into a pita pocket, then melt the cheese and heat the
> turkey meat
>
> bacon always makes things taste better

I don't know if I'm allergic to pita or not. Might contain egg or milk. I
will look next time I go to the store. Pita bread doesn't seem to be a big
thing here. I don't think I've ever seen it. Years ago I used to get mini
pitas to take in my lunch. Alas, Angela can't have pita. Unless I can find
a gluten free recipe for it.