Posted to rec.food.restaurants,ba.food,alt.food.asian
Pete Fraser Pete Fraser is offline

Default Death to cilantro!

> wrote in message

> Not at all necessary. "Taste" is code for the flavor sensation, which
> is 80-90% smell.

Isn't that the truth?
I had an accident about 3 years ago where I disconnected
my olfactory nerve. It took me a few days to realize what
had happened. Friends were bringing all sorts of excellent
outside food to the hospital, and I couldn't stomach any
of it. It just tasted like cardboard.

I had to learn to eat again. I cook for myself now, but don't
cook for anybody else, as I've no idea how much seasoning to
put in (parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme, ginger, garlic, basil,
mint, etc, etc, all taste of nothing).

I've been following the cilantro = soap discussion, thinking
about whether cilantro really tastes soapy to some folks, or
if it's olfactory. I just tried licking a bar of soap, and didn't
get much from it. If anyone who hates cilantro was prepared
to eat some while holding their nose, I'd be interested
in how bad it tastes.

Pete