Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Paul E. Lehmann[_7_] Paul E. Lehmann[_7_] is offline

Default Wine Body and Mouthfeel Factors

wrote:

> Hello All
>
> What factors and winemaking techniques can affect the final body of
> the finished wine?
>
> I'm trying to increase the final body are a Cab Sauv/Carmenere blend.
> My wines are medium bodied wines at best. I've inocculated with MLF
> cultures. I'm wondering what I can do in future batches to improve
> the body, without getting too much into specifics of my past batches.

I would think that California or Chilean grapes should yield sufficient
body. It is felt that a higher alcohol may contribute to body but with
California and Chilean grapes, I would think that this is not an issue.
A slight amount of residual sugar could also give the perception of more
body. You could do an experiment and add a drop of stevia (natural non
fermentable sweetener) to a glass of wine and note the results. I think
that excessive tannins might also give the preception of a "thinner" wine
so you may wish to do some trials in this area. I would think that your
California and Chilean grapes are NOT low pH so this is probably not a
contributor to a perception of lack of body.