Rona Yuthasastrakosol

Default good baking sheets (ISO)

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> Don't believe everything you see on TV. The food network is particularly
> notorious for cavalierly dispensing false information. I'm sure most of

the
> misinformation is passed along innocently and there is no mechanism for
> discussion that would allow for a correction. One has to wonder just how
> the parchment would draw the butter out of an item. I would speculate

that
> you simply see the butter easier on the parchment than you would on a

baking
> sheet. That might lead to a conclusion that here was a cause and effect
> relationship where none existed.

FWIW, I remember an equipment review done by Cook's Illustrated or Fine
Cooking. They said cookies with high butter contents should not be baked on
insulated cookie sheets. Something about the insulation causes the butter
to melt prematurely leading to leakage. Using parchment paper on cookie
sheets, from what I understand, can work similarly (though not as extremely)
to using insulated cookie sheets. Perhaps that is why the woman on the food
network said what she did--maybe she didn't mean that parchment paper "draws
out" the butter, but that it may cause the butter to melt prematurely and
leak out of the cookie.

I actually like butter leakage for certain cookies--like crispy oatmeal
cookies. You get a really delicious crispy outer ring of butter and sugar.
Yum!

rona