Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
[email protected] djammalo@gmail.com is offline

Default Wine Body and Mouthfeel Factors

Hello All

What factors and winemaking techniques can affect the final body of
the finished wine?

I'm trying to increase the final body are a Cab Sauv/Carmenere blend.
My wines are medium bodied wines at best. I've inocculated with MLF
cultures. I'm wondering what I can do in future batches to improve
the body, without getting too much into specifics of my past batches.

Furthermore, I would like to know if these factors increase body and
mouthfeel, or have little effect:
- Performing MLF? (I assumed it increases body/mouthfeel)
- Longer maceration time?
- Higher primary fermentation temperature?
- Fruit quality?
- Higher Brix level?
- Barrel aging with evaporation?
(anything else)

Some background:
I've been making wines for a relatively short time, about 2.5 years.
I've made a few kits, and two batches with fresh Chilean Cab Sauv and
Carmenere grapes, & one Calif. Cab Sauv. In my past, I've made home
brew beer for 20 years from all-grain and have controlled the body of
the beer by controlling the mash temperature. Higher temp mashes
create a faster mash but leave unfermentable dextrins which is the
main factor increasing the body and mouthfeel of the final beer.

Any insight or opinion is welcome.
Thank you
Dave J