Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri Dimitri is offline

Default Can you use baking soda instead of baking powder?

"Kajikit" > wrote in message
> We don't have any baking powder but I've got a giant container of
> baking soda/bicarbonate of soda that I bought for cleaning (and then
> never used!) Is there a way to use baking soda as the raising agent
> for baking instead of baking powder?

Not unless you have cream of tartar.

Making Baking Powder

You need baking soda and cream of tartar to make baking powder.

Mix 2 parts cream of tartar with 1 part baking soda. For example, mix 2 tsp
cream of tartar with 1 tsp baking soda.
Use the amount of baking powder called for by the recipe. No matter how much
homemade baking powder you made, if the recipe calls for 1-1/2 tsp, add
exactly 1-1/2 tsp of your mixture.

Cream of tartar is used to increase the acidity of a mixture. So, you can't
always use baking soda in recipes that call for baking powder. You can
switch baking powder for baking soda, however, just expect the flavor to
change a little.

Dimitri