Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Thorson Mark Thorson is offline

Default Peanut hearing

"modom (palindrome guy)" wrote:

> This is rich:
>
> "[Stewart] Parnell sat stiffly, his hands folded in his lap at the
> witness table, as Rep. Greg Walden, R-Ore., held up a clear jar of his
> company's products wrapped in crime scene tape and asked him if he
> would be willing to eat the food."
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090211/...nella_outbreak
>
> I want to hurt him.

More interesting to me is this sentence:

"She testified that Peanut Corp. officials said they believed the
salmonella came from organic Chinese peanuts."

That seems like a plausible theory to me. China has recently
emerged as the largest producer of peanuts. "Organic" in Chinese
means "we can't afford chemicals and we use manure for fertilizer".
(If you're lucky, it'll be animal manure.)