Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick[_2_] Janet Bostwick[_2_] is offline

Default Rice flour

maxine in ri wrote:
> I have a couple of recipes that call for gram and rice flours
> combined. I have the gram flour, but have never seen rice flour. Now
> I do have 19 pounds of rice left <G>, and wonder if I could grind it
> raw or would I need to cook, dry and then grind it to make rice
> flour? I suppose I could go out and _buy_ some, but just wonder if
> there's some way I could get by with what I have.
>
> maxine in ri

Rice flour is a cheap flour that is available at most food co-ops, health
food stores and places where they sell bulk. I keep a small amount around
for when I want to make specialty breads. The rice flour is very good for
sprinkling on cloth linings to keep bread dough from sticking as the rice
doesn't absorb moisture the way other flour does. It also works well to
flour the peel for inserting the risen loaves into the oven on the stone. I
use rice flour because it isn't as grainy as corn meal, it does have a
certain texture though. The rice is ground raw and is extremely fine and
sandy.
Janet