Posted to rec.food.historic
Peter[_6_] Peter[_6_] is offline

Default a question

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> And it would be nice to see more signs of life here...
>
> I am working on a bibliography (well, several, but right now one in
> particular). My main interest (for this, anyway) is US cookery. The
> question is what is a reasonable cut-off for European cookbooks as part of
> this. Obviously, folks brought European cookbooks to this country, and
> some of the European cookbooks were reprinted here (or there were new,
> somewhat modified editions for this country). When did such cookbooks
> stop being a significant factor in US cookery (aside from the obvious
> heritage aspect of recipes in general)?
> --
> Jean B.

I'm not a historian by any means, nor American.... but I assume looking at
migration, you would find answers. Plenty of Irish traveled in the mid 19th
I think, and probably brought their cooking with them, having a large
influence that needed to die off. Was there large migrations to the USA
after WW1?

In all I imagine the food rationing during the depression and then WW2 would
have influenced cooking to a large degree and may be that point in time you
are looking for?