Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Question about pearl barley

MaryL -out-the-litter> wrote:
: I like lentil soup, but I was thinking of only veggies and barley plus some
: kind of meat.

: MaryL

Sounds very good to me:-) You can try the same on another occasion with
the lentils rather than the barley. Spnach added at the last minute is
very nice in lentil soup and makes it more flling rather than more
lentils.

Wendy

: "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
: ...
: >I use barley but not in the quantities used in most recipes. I use a combo
: >of lentils and barley. So far no ill effects bg-wise unless I overdo the
: >barley. I use about 1/4 barley to about a cup of dried lentils in soups
: >with lots of vegies including cabbage and celery leaves and some kind of
: >meat (lamb shanks etc). I cook my soups in a slow cooker. 150 gr is about
: >5 ozs and probably a dry weight.
: >
: > MaryL wrote:
: >> I have completely eliminated the "white stuff" since being diagnosed
: >> T2 five years ago--no refined sugar, pasta, rice, potatoes, or flour
: >> (except for the occasional input when eating in restaurants, which is
: >> not often). I used to like barley but also have not tried that
: >> during this time. It is also a good source of nutrition. So...can
: >> any of you tell me your experiences with barley? Has it had a major
: >> impact on your meters, or not. I am tempted to try making some
: >> barley soup, based on some recipes that look good. I checked carbs
: >> and the glycemic index and found some odd information. I used this
: >> source: http://www.glycemicindex.com/. Click on Free GI Database,
: >> then enter pearl barley in the search box. That location shows 31.7
: >> carbs per serving for pearled barley (Canada). Then, the *same*
: >> source shows 123.3 carbs for pearl barley, boiled 60 minutes! The
: >> information appears to be for the same size (serving size of 150
: >> grams, which frankly does not mean a lot to me because I am not used
: >> to thinking in "grams").
: >> MaryL
: >
: >