Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Question about pearl barley

MaryL -out-the-litter> wrote:

: "Nicky" > wrote in message
: news : > On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 23:46:03 -0600, "MaryL"
: > -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:
: >
: >>I have completely eliminated the "white stuff" since being diagnosed T2
: >>five
: >>years ago--no refined sugar, pasta, rice, potatoes, or flour (except for
: >>the
: >>occasional input when eating in restaurants, which is not often). I used
: >>like barley but also have not tried that during this time. It is also a
: >>good source of nutrition. So...can any of you tell me your experiences
: >>with
: >>barley? Has it had a major impact on your meters, or not.
: >
: > It spikes me, but don't let that bother you - try it and test! aren't
: > you the person who can cope with porridge? That's another no-no for
: > me, so we clearly have different metabolisms.
: >
: > Nicky.
: > T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
: > D&E, 100ug thyroxine
: > Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25

: Yes, I eat Oatmeal (old-fashioned or steel cut, never "quick" or "instant")
: oatmeal, with no problems. Beans and lentils are also fine. However, even
: a single slice of whole wheat bread caused spikes, so I am interested to see
: what reaction others have had to barley. As you said, I will have to test
: it myself if I decide to try it.

: MaryL

Like many of the others here I make soups with barley,or lentils, but use
about half what the recipe calls for. this works for me. I can also eat
a cup of beef-barley soup at one local restaurant which makes it without
thicken the surrounding broth . they d othe same with their lentil soup,
but at other places the both soups are too thick with carby thickeners.

Wendy