Posted to alt.food.diabetic
MaryL MaryL is offline

Default Question about pearl barley

I have completely eliminated the "white stuff" since being diagnosed T2 five
years ago--no refined sugar, pasta, rice, potatoes, or flour (except for the
occasional input when eating in restaurants, which is not often). I used to
like barley but also have not tried that during this time. It is also a
good source of nutrition. So...can any of you tell me your experiences with
barley? Has it had a major impact on your meters, or not. I am tempted to
try making some barley soup, based on some recipes that look good. I
checked carbs and the glycemic index and found some odd information. I used
this source: http://www.glycemicindex.com/. Click on Free GI Database,
then enter pearl barley in the search box. That location shows 31.7 carbs
per serving for pearled barley (Canada). Then, the *same* source shows
123.3 carbs for pearl barley, boiled 60 minutes! The information appears to
be for the same size (serving size of 150 grams, which frankly does not mean
a lot to me because I am not used to thinking in "grams").

MaryL