Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Cooking by kids, for kids

"Andy" wrote
> Horry said...

> Cheesesteaks?
>
> Parent or butcher would have to machine thin slice the chilled rib eye
> meat
> (grey kangaroo, lamb, beef?)

Agreed. Taught Charlotte the 'half frozen slicing' but later, was nearing
14. (in our case, for making jerky in the dehydrator).

> Parent would also have to medium dice onions. The kids could do the rest.

Not really, parent may have to do the initial cut to say, quarters though
since it seems he (Horry's son I presume) is just starting knife skills.
Charlotte started earlier with knives so was able to handle this alone by
that age but a really big vidalia, I might halve for her back then.

Keeping in mind that you learn by doing, his initial cuts wont be so perfect
but they work fine for cooking!

Horry, here's a sample of a meal Charlotte liked then (still does) and well
in her level by then and I think for your 12YO. It's a semi- home made but
that's ok at this level.

1 can (28oz) chicken stock (we actually used our own home made)
1 small block firm tofu (100-150g or so will be used)
1 fistful of fresh green beans
3-4 large cabbage leaves
1 green onion

Set the tofu on a plate with another plate on top to press as much water out
as reasonable. While it presses, get the rest out. Set the stock to
warming on lowest setting. Wash the green beans and snap the ends off then
add to the stock (may cut smaller if desired or just snap smaller). Tear up
the cabbage to smaller bits (may cut or use hands). Cut green onion top to
about 1/2 to 1 inch bits and add to stock (can be hand torn too). Remove
palate from tofu the slice as reasonably even as a kid can to about 1/2 inch
thick (show him how to use a finger joint for this) then slice that down to
strips and add as much as seems right to the stock (put rest back in the
fridge). Let simmer and serve.

If tofu isnt a good one for him, try small sliced sausage bits in it's place
or some cooked bacon (warning to non-OZ and OZ folks, OZ bacon is NOT like
USA Bacon although it is used like it. Quite a different flavor).