Jack Denver

Default Built-in Grill Advice

At this pricepoint you are so obscenely far away from "value for the dollar"
that it's impossible to say whether another $1300 is money well spent or
not.

As the others point out, a gas grill cannot make "real" barbeque. That being
said, you can add a little smoke flavor to your food with some wood chips,
and if you use an indirect method (1 burner on, pan of water over the
burner, food over side where burner is not on) you can come close to the
low temperatures and moist heat needed for barbeque. But you don't need a
special built in smoke box to do this - you can even wrap the wood chips in
foil and rest them on the burner. You won't win any competitions this way,
but a gas grill can be used for more than just grilling steaks.

Ditto on the grates- the fancy ones are nice, but you could achieve the
same thing with a $5 perforated grate for delicate foods. For steaks,
burgers, etc. the standard grate is fine.

"Tom Newton" > wrote in message
> Hi Folks -
>
> We're building a new deck patio area and my contractor has agreed to

create
> a built in grill area at the corner of the deck. He has already run power
> and natural gas from the house to the future grill location. All he needs
> from me now is a grill!
>
> Since this deck patio area is on the fancy side (and it's costing me a
> bundle!), I've been looking into some of the more high end brands lately.

So
> far, DCS seems to offer the best package in either a 30 or 36 inch

built-in
> grill.
>
> The current struggle I have is deciding between these two DCS units.
>
> The 30" DCS is the BGB30-BQR - Street price... $1700
>
> The 36" DCS is the BGB36-BQAR - Street price... $3000
>
> As you can see, the price differential is huge. Here's what I've been able
> to determine the 36" has that the 30" doesn't. Based on my research, and
> talking to DCS, for the $1300 extra dollars... the 36" DCS gives you -
>
> 1. The larger surface (three 25k btu burners instead of 2)
> 2. A smoker tray with its own 3500 btu burner (no smoker in the 30"), and
> 3. Better grilling grates (fancy two sided grease control ones, versus
> regular steel tube grates in the 30")
>
> That doesn't sound like much for $1300. But before I decide, I wanted to

get
> some feedback on the value of an integrated smoker tray. I have never used

> smoker, but I'd love to learn. Can a smoker tray allow the grill to cook
> certain foods, steaks etc... so they taste as though they were cooked over
> charcoal? or are these just used to create beef jerky and other stuff like
> that?
>
> Also, does anyone have an opinion about the DCS two sided grilling grates?
> Appearently, one side is great for greasy foods and the other side is
> perfect for delicate stuff like flaky fish etc... are these new grates
> really a nice to have, or is the standard steel grate in the 30" fine as

is?

> As for price, I am not that price sensitive at this point since the

overall
> cost of this outdoor area is already through the roof, so $1300 and

getting