Old 28-01-2009, 05:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Elderberry Goo Residue Removel Help

In article , "Andie Z" wrote:
We have been making elderberry wine for years. This year we made another 12
gallons. The big problem we have is cleaning up. During and after primary
fermentation we end up with a non-soluble goo. We still haven't discovered
a way to wash it off our stirrer, our primary, or anything else. Does
anyone have a sure fire way of getting it off stuff. My 90 year old mother
is the wine master and she has it on her finger nails.

Washing soda is an excellent general-purpose cleaner. Mix it at the rate of 1
cup powder to 1 gallon warm water to start with, and see if that does the job.