Posted to rec.food.historic
Arri London Arri London is offline

Default Crecknels

gorley williams wrote:

> Does anyone know of a very old-fashioned tea biscuit called a cracknel?
> I used to buy them from a store here in San Francisco and the store is
> gone and so are the biscuits. They were very dry and crisp and had a
> depression just asking to be filled with jam. Yummy memory. gorley

Here is a recipe from: English Housewifery Exemplified, by Elizabeth
Moxon, published in 1764. Obtained from Project Gutenberg.
It's probably not like the commercial ones you were buying What brand
were they anyway?

245. _To make_ CRACKNELS.

Take half a pound (about 2 cups) of fine flour, half a pound (about 1
cup) of sugar, two ounces (half a stick) of butter, two eggs, and a few
carraway seeds; (you must beat and sift the
sugar) then put it to your flour and work it to paste; roll them as
thin as you can, and cut them out with queen cake tins, lie them on
papers and bake them in a slow oven.

They are proper to eat with chocolate.

A slow oven usually means between about 250 and 300 F.
For papers, use baking parchment.

Have fun!